The Wayne Education Network is a county-wide initiative created in 2009 to improve the quality of life and economic prosperity in Goldsboro and Wayne County through programs and partnerships to enhance the educational and training opportunities available to students of all ages.
- City of Goldsboro
- Communities in Schools of Wayne County, Inc.
- County of Wayne
- Literacy Connections of Wayne County
- Partnership for Children WC, Inc.
- Seymour Johnson Air Force Base
- University of Mount Olive
- Wayne Charitable Partnership, Inc.
- Wayne Community College
- Wayne County Chamber of Commerce
- Wayne County Development Alliance
- Wayne County Public Library
- Wayne County Public Schools
Over the last several years the Chamber has been working to strengthen the business community’s involvement in the education of our children. Education is critical to the long-term economic prosperity of our area and thus requires the attention of the entire community.
To improve the quality of life and economic prosperity in Goldsboro and Wayne County through programs and partnerships to enhance the educational and training opportunities available to students of all ages.
Goals of the Wayne Education Network
- To coordinate local businesses with the Board of Education in an effort to stimulate business involvement with education and to promote a better understanding of the needs of each.
- Continue to promote communication and collaboration between the Board of Education, the Board of Commissioners and the leadership within the business community.
Chairperson: Dr. Ed Wilson, Chair
Dr. Thomas Walker, President, Wayne Community College
Selena Bennett, Executive Director, Communities in Schools of Wayne County
Tamara Berman-Ishee, Assistant Superintendent Curriculum & Instruction, Wayne County Public Schools
Stewart Cox, 4th Mission Support Group Deputy Commander, Seymour Johnson AFB
Kate Daniels, President Wayne County Chamber of Commerce
Dr. Michael Dunsmore, Superintendent, Wayne County Public Schools
Lee Hulse, Interim Director, Literacy Connections of Wayne County
Charles Ivey, Executive Director, Partnership for Children of Wayne County
Dr. Phillip Kerstetter, President, University of Mount Olive
Don Magoon, Wayne Community College
Donna Phillips, Director, Wayne County Public Library
Col Joseph Slavick, 4th Mission Support Group Commander, Seymour Johnson AFB
Yvette Smith, Assistant Superintendent Human Resources, Wayne County Public Schools
Activities of the Education Council
- To provide support to committees of the Wayne Education Network.
- Be an advocate for the business community on important educational issues.
- Be an advocate for the community on important educational based legislative issues.
- Conduct a Wayne Education Network Strategic Planning session.
- Encourage and support communications between the Board of Education, the Commissioners and the leadership within the business community.
- Promote positive public perception.
Chairperson: Dr. Thomas Walker, Wayne Community College
Mission of the Workforce Development Committee
To improve the preparedness of Wayne County Public Schools graduates for today’s workplace with core academic competencies and fostering special technical training.
Teacher Recruitment & Retention
Chairperson: Beverly Carroll, Retired Wayne County Public School
Mission of the Teacher Recruitment & Retention Committee
The Teacher Recruitment/Incentives Committee is committed to the task of providing a quality education for all students by working with educational institutions and the business community to provide incentives in an effort to recruit and retain the best teachers for our children.
Dancing Stars of Wayne County
Mission of the Dancing Stars of Wayne County
The mission is to generate and distribute resources to or on behalf of the Wayne Charitable Partnership’s Education Council to enrich teaching, inspire learning and maximize opportunities needed in the Goldsboro/Wayne County area.
Outcomes & Assessments Committee
Chairperson: Selena Bennett, Communities in Schools of Wayne Co.
Mission of the Outcomes & Assessments Committee
The mission of the Outcomes & Assessments Committee is to foster a clear and true understanding of education issues in Wayne County through research and distribution of data.
Chairperson: Sherry Archibald, Paramount Theatre, City of Goldsboro
Mission of the Junior Leadership Committee
The Junior Leadership program is a year long program where selected 25 high school juniors focus on career exploration. The class year begins with Orientation Day in October and continues one day each month with students exploring business and industry in areas of History & Education, Healthcare, Business & Industry, Government & Law, Arts, Leisure & Community Services, Agri-Business, and Seymour Johnson Air Force Base.
Chairperson: Suzie Acree, Literacy Connections of Wayne County
Mission of the Speakers Bureau Committee
The mission of the Speakers Bureau Committee is to provide a resource pool of speakers for Wayne County school teachers to invite into the classrooms for discussions with the students on the various career opportunities available in Wayne County.